Is a 4k 39" monitor worth it 2 years in?

I have been using my 4k monitor for a long time now. I wrote a review of it when I first got it and now have had it long enough I can give a full opinion.

I usually have 4-8 apps open and visible at any time, which is very useful.






















Plus:

  • I love the real-estate. Having Email, Trello, Slack and Chrome open at all times plus whatever I am doing means it saves a lot of time tabbing between windows.
  • Great for creating presentations. When I need Google Slides open, a window for copying images, notes for a deck, etc all in one place, everything fits and it is at high enough resolution.
  • Amazing for coding. Sublime full height with multiple files plus room to actually test out an app/site/etc is a substantial improvement.

Minus:

  • Eye Strain: The brightness is about 30% higher than my MacBook Pro and also 25% more blue (Even with corrections in monitor settings). I think this is causing a bit of eye strain. The color gamut is limited because this is officially a TV rather than a high quality monitor.
  • Head movement: To look around the monitor I actually have to shift my head which is probably slowing we down from an efficiency side.
  • Lots of digital clutter: I am not sure it is a good thing to have everything visible at once. Lots of detail that it would be nice to wipe away.
  • Physically large in most offices. It is actually too large to fit on my desk under the cabinets so I had to remove the stand and prop it on the desk.
  • Bad for video games. Because of the huge size, it is very immersive, however that also means that my response time is slower in looking around. More deaths... :-(

Overall, I really like having it however feel that it is close to time to update to a newer version with better brightness control and also work on how I use it so I don't let things get too cluttered.