Warranties Which Work

Most warranties never seem to work out. It seems to come from the fact that the expectations of the warranty creator and user are not in line. One of the key reasons for this is that most companies don't think of users as people who they will have a long term relationship with and this actually causes a lot of harm to the brand.


If, instead, they thought of a warranty as an extension of their marketing conversation and relationship with their customers, and invested in them correctly, it would actually make customers significantly more loyal.

Why AppleCare Works - I feel that they care for me

An example for me in the last month is that both my phone and laptop have broken. The phone developed a stuck key and the laptop has had issues with the logic board and other things. If this were a normal product, I would have thrown it out and bought their competitor's ones. But, it is Apple, and, rather than be frustrated at them, I find myself grateful.

They tried to fix both of the devices and, when that didn't work, they just replaced them fully with new units without question, shipping boxes, etc. I just walked in and walked out with a new unit.

I did pay for this with the AppleCare warranty, which is not cheap, but I have received over $5000 of parts on my current laptop (Used every day and has 100,000+ airplane miles on it) without question.

Takeaway

For me, this is at least a 10x dollar value so far on the warranty cost and a huge gain from the fact that I don't worry which city I am in, whether it is SF, NYC, London, STHLM or Shanghai. If something breaks, I will have help.

For Apple, it is a huge value because I continue to buy more Apple products both personally and for people in our company, so the cost is well worth it because they have created a loyal customer who will invest a lot more than the cost of supporting a few devices which break.